Monday, July 13, 2015

Kodiak Island Virtual Learning Conference Reflection


How did my knowledge and skills change from the beginning of the conference to the end? 
I almost didn't sign up to attend this conference because I assumed that none of the content would apply to my grade level (second grade). Given that I only have 4 laptops and an iPad cart that is shared among 4 classrooms, the use of technology in my classroom has taken a backseat to other learning methods and materials. Having spent much of my teaching career integrating technology and keeping up with the latest trends in education, I felt it was time to come up with some ideas on how to do this in my current second grade classroom. It was Nicole's enthusiasm for paper circuitry that prompted me to check out the Kodiak Island Virtual Learning Conference and sign up for the "Hacking Your Notebook" workshop. Prior to attending the conference, I had no idea what paper circuitry was other than that it took notebooks and writing to a new level, adding lights and special effects. It sounded cool, but also complicated. I've never been that interested in "electricity" and it was always a subject that I found boring as a student and later as a first year teacher thrown into running an elementary science program. I admit I was hesitant and intimidated. During the first day of the conference I said to a friend, "I feel like the dumbest person here!" I was having a really hard time understanding how to build the circuits, given that the explanation was mostly verbal. I am a "show me, then let me try it" kind of learner. I felt very challenged in just trying to keep up with the pace of the workshop and understanding all of the new materials, terminology, etc. Thankfully, David Cole was patient enough to sit with me and give me some much needed hand-holding. By the end of the day the light bulb went on, literally and figuratively, and I felt more confident in my knowledge of circuits.  
Now to figure out how to teach this to second graders! If I had a hard time, how are they going to get it? During the workshop I was so focused on being a learner, that I did not have time to really think about how this could work in my classroom. It wasn't until after the conference that the ideas started growing. I'm now confident that I can and will use some of the skills and knowledge gained from the workshop, using paper circuitry in my classroom as part of a year-long project. I will be explaining this more in my final project.

How will this experience change my teaching practice? 
First of all, it will challenge me. I have been teaching for 8 years, and in those years have taught all grades from Kindergarten to 8th grade, and all subjects. I have a wide range of experience, but have also never taught the same grade/subjects for more than a year at a time. Each year was always brand new, often creating most of the curriculum from scratch. This will be the first time I am teaching second grade again, in the same classroom at the same school. I feel like now that I have a good idea of the curriculum, school culture, and abilities of the kids, I can start to push myself to do things that I would not be so comfortable doing the first year in a new job or assignment. I am excited about bringing something completely new into my classroom and school, pioneering this paper circuitry and hopefully knocking everyone's socks off-- Look what second graders can do!

How am I a virtual teacher and why did I attend the conference?
I've never thought about myself as a "virtual teacher," since I have always taught in a physical classroom, face-to-face with my students. However, teaching is not just what we do with our students. Teaching is also the process of gathering and sharing ideas with others. I think back on all of the ways I have been inspired, ideas I have found, people I have connected with who have helped me grow as a teacher, and I realize that most of this has happened virtually. I was fortunate to have attended grad school at a liberal arts college with a small cohort for 2 years. We worked so closely together that many of us continue to connect as friends and professionals, mostly online. I have a large group of teaching peers whom I go to for advice, ideas, and inspiration. As a teacher I am also a huge fan of Pinterest and have created many public boards relating to various subjects within education (for example, Teaching Science to Primary Kids, Integrating Technology into the Classroom, etc.). I feel like by sharing and organizing ideas, this makes me a virtual teacher to some degree. 
I attended this conference in order to learn something new that I could apply to my teaching. I wanted to do something different, something out of the box that most teachers may never have heard of or be exposed to in their typical professional development. I think of all the ideas I have "borrowed" from others, and I hope that I can share my success with paper circuitry in the primary classroom with others. 

1 comment:

  1. Erin,
    This statement is profound, "However, teaching is not just what we do with our students. Teaching is also the process of gathering and sharing ideas with others. I think back on all of the ways I have been inspired, ideas I have found, people I have connected with who have helped me grow as a teacher, and I realize that most of this has happened virtually." That really IS it for a lot of teachers. We don't view ourselves as "virtual" educators until we start to reflect on our process and consider how we do what we do and how we share what we do. :) Great thought!

    ReplyDelete